}

Design For Life Not Magazine Covers!


I was at my local bookshop today and saw the design magazine Icon. They asked Brit designer Jasper Morrison to design their front cover. The result is a minimal white cover with his scribbled handwriting on it saying design for life not magazine covers! Wow what a statement. I remember graphic design guru Vince Frost telling me don't design for design sake. When you look at the tactile photos of Jessica Backhaus you soon realize there is real beauty and inspiration in the most surprising and ordinary places. The stupid thing is most magazines would pass on showing you this kind of home . If I had a penny for each house my editors passed up to be featured in their magazine because they did not tick certain boxes I would be a very wealthy girl. I have been wondering lately how many gems have been lost in the old rejection pile. I think it's time for a revolution! Just as rock-chick Beth Ditto bared all and looked HOT on the front cover of Love magazine it's time to see homes with real soul making it on the cover of the big glossies looking as seductive and alluring as Beth! With a photographer with a great eye like Jessica it can happen. I would love to know what you would like to see in your magazines.



6 comments:

  1. I love it - PURE and SIMPLE. I've found with anything, the harder I try to make a thing say something or look fabulous, the less I like it. I like things to look real - and sometimes SIMPLE is the best way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW - such soulful images. i would like to see exactly this in my magazines...the ordinary is so often extraordinary.

    ps: i love your blog! i just read through a few posts and am hooked. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post too. What you say about design is so true. I love seeing real peoples homes in Magazines, Russh magazine always has a section showcasing a fashion designers home & they are always packed with inspirational knick knacks & collections.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It reminds me of my childhood and my grandparents' house...

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful images, lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete