}

Bodies In Urban Spaces

Hi Everyone! Happy Valentine's. Thank you for your lovely wishes below. I'm afraid I've mislead you:(  I am planning to go back to Australia but it is not for a while longer. However I'm starting to plan what needs to be done. How much is it going to cost me to ship all my stuff back, Is it easy for my fiance to move to the sunny Island, hopefully landing a job before I get back, blah, blah, blah. So I'm afraid I'm going to have to entertain you in the UK for a while longer. 

Austrian artist Willi Dorner squeezes human bodies into nooks and crannies for his Bodies in Urban Spaces project. Groups of dancers, climbers and performers wearing brightly coloured clothes run through busy malls and high streets and cram themselves into doorways, alcoves and any gap they can find in buildings.

What excites me about this project is how Willi explores the use of space. Something a lot of us lack within our homes. In interior design any volume which is being contained within masonry walls and are habitable is normally termed as space. Creating negative space and wasteful space are two very different cookies. Negative space helps us bring a balance to a room or surface. For example if you have a fireplace mantle don't jam it with nick knacks. You want to make a curated display creating a focal point. Sometimes it can be dynamic to display your favourite vases say on the left side of the mantle and leaving the right side empty.

However wasteful space is something so many homes have which in this day and age we can't afford to do. Wasting your habital area is a BIG NO, NO! If you are not using a space and it's collecting dust consider it may be time to rerange the room or give the room a whole new purporse. You need to create a room with great flow leading you to each area you have created. You don't want to be tripping over stuff to get to the other side of a room but when your home costs so much to buy or rent for every square footage don't waste it.

1 comment: